Commercial Buildings dates to c.1868, which was demolished and redeveloped in 1987 with only the Cross Street façade retained. The building lies within the Upper King Street Conservation Area and as such the Cross Street façade is a positive contributor to the character and appearance of the area.
The proposal was to create a new 290 bedroom landmark hotel within this prominent city centre location. The retained facade is constructed from stone, visually robust, with deep window reveals. The proposed facade is to be constructed from rendered panels with deep set windows in an attempt to create a sympathetic, albeit contemporary, interpretation of the original.
The reception, lobby and restaurant of the hotel is situated on the ground floor and accessed from Cross Street. The existing retail unit is to remain, with a proposed new retail unit along Pall Mall.